Thursday, November 19, 2009

I am THAT teacher

Stuff I've done in class:

Used a hand drum to teach prosody.

Referred to Monty Python's "Dead Parrot" sketch as an example of the ubiquity of Shakespeare. ("He's shuffled off this mortal coil and joined the choir invisibule!")

Used a silk flower and a rain boot to explain why you shouldn't let your participles hang down.

Assigned "Hamlet (Facebook News Feed Edition)" as a reading.

Shown Johnny Cash's video for "Hurt," Nine Inch Nails' video for same, and P!nk's "Stupid Girls" in class. Also Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

Assigned "Living Like Weasels" by Annie Dillard and then told my students to write like weasels.

Tomorrow, I plan to drop a pen on the floor. Then write "I dropped a pen on the floor" and the formula for rectilinear motion under acceleration on the board and ask them to tell me which statement describes what just happened. Then go on to explain the relevance of this to essay writing.

I totally live for this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment